Brooke

My sister Brooke is amazing. If you haven’t already heard me talk about her incredible basketball skills, you might not want to ask. I could go on for hours. She is a freshman (in high school) and is rocking the Varsity team. On Friday night she had her first round district play off game. Mark and I had planned to leave work early, drive the 2½ hours, and get there just in time for the 2nd half. The best part, we were going to surprise Brooke.

Well, so much for planning. Thursday night, we both got the FLU! Or at least a 24 hour throw up bug. It was not pretty. I was not happy. We slept all day on Friday. Around 3 o’clock we woke up staring at the TV, the only thing you can really do when you are sick. I lay there, sick, with a headache, my heart aching too. I slowly watched the clock as Brooke’s game began, half time rolled around and then as the game should be finishing… “RING” “Ring Ring”

Shannon: Hello?

Brooke: Shannon… (Brooke proceeded to talk a mile a minute to tell me every painstaking detail of the game. She commonly asks, “Do you want the play by play or just the quarter break down?”)

Shannon: (I attempt to interrupt amidst the many voices of my family on the other end of the phone) Did you win?!

Brooke: Oh. Yeah. We Won. And we play our rival next week and the paper interviewed me after the game. (This has begun to happen quite frequently. She has now been featured in three separate local papers!)

Here is an excerpt from the game write up: (courtesy of the local paper)

Midway through the second quarter, Villa Maria was sparked by an 11-0 run and stretched its lead to 10 at the half. The Hurricanes were sparked by two bench players during the run…freshman Brooke Angelos provided a spark with her end-to-end hustle and scored four of her eight points during the run.

“I just run a lot and try to get the lose balls,” Angelos said.

The best example of her hustle play all night occurred midway in the third quarter, when Radnor inbounded the ball under its own basket. The Red Raiders' [player] broke away from the Villa press and was three steps ahead of everyone when she received the outlet pass, but Angelos made up the ground quickly and swatted the ball out of bounds.

“(Angelos) has a lot of quickness and a nose for the ball,” Coach McCartney said. “When she’s in the game the intensity goes up. You expect a freshman to make mistakes, but she didn’t make any tonight.”

My sister Brooke is amazing.

(even if I did have to miss the game)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Land Of Nod: Design for Kids and People That Used to be Kids